This week was a busy one for me on the road for business in Houston. I had a TSA nightmare trying to travel with two different names on my identification and boarding pass, which I’ll post about later. But other than that a really nice trip, including return stays at the Hyatt Regency Houston (superb breakfast spread!) and the Drury Inn and Suites in The Woodlands (free happy hour!), and got to drive a brand new 2015 Jeep Patriot with just over 1,000 miles on it (love National’s Executive Aisle!)
Here’s a recap of what’s been happening in the miles and points world this week:
- The dreaded day is here, Club Carlson is getting rid of the bonus award night offer for credit card holders. This is a pretty big blow for our personal travel plans, so I’ll be sure to dedicate a full post to the implications and our next steps surrounding this announcement, but in the meantime you can check out this Mommy Points post.
- Wyndham is drastically changing their award chart. I agree with Million Mile Secrets that this actually a good move for the most part, since all-inclusive hotels seem to be included. It does appear that the Barclays Wyndham Rewards card has already dropped the sign up bonus from 45,000 points (now 3 nights) to 30,000 points (2 nights).
- 1,000 points to update your Hilton HHonors password offer extended (expires 4/10/15)
- Last week I received 60,000 Club Carlson points for participating in an online focus group. It was only an hour long, actually enjoyable and a super easy way to earn enough points for two free nights at a luxury hotel. A good reminder to always open emails from hotels, airlines, etc.
- Marriott Rewards one million points giveaway with mobile-check-in. See this TravelBlawg post for more info.
- Today only, use code SAVE22 for 22% discount on Frontier Airlines
- US Airways and AA have officially merged!
- $15 Chicago hopper flights
- 25% Amex transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic
- Enter to win a $500 Delta giftcard from The Points Guy.
- The free Lounge Club passes for Chase Ink cardholders are going away. We have several of these passes we’ll need to get around to using before they expire. Last day to enroll is April 30. Here’s One Mile at a Time’s take.
- Amex Hilton Surpass 80,000 point bonus is back until May 5. More info from Running with Miles.
- It’s a new quarter, which means new category bonuses. For me that primarily means the Chase Freedom’s 5% back at restaurants, Bed Bath & Beyond, H&M and Overstock.com. Don’t forget to activate the bonus!